Mycosis, or fungus, is an unpleasant disease caused by parasitic microorganisms - fungi. It is quite common and can occur in both adults and children. Fungi can appear on different parts of the body, but most commonly affect the skin of the feet and hands, as well as the nails. This causes physical discomfort and the affected areas look extremely unattractive.
Fungus is not a "harmless" disease. Its waste products are toxic, can weaken the immune system and even lead to allergies. Therefore, he needs timely treatment that should be prescribed by a doctor. Many are concerned about the question of how to get rid of foot fungus, which treatment can be used to treat problems at home.
Why the fungus appears
The appearance and development of skin fungus is associated with the presence of pathogens in the skin, which multiply very quickly. The fungus is most often localized between the toes, and can also affect the heels, feet, palms and nails. There may be several reasons why it occurs. The fungus loves a humid and warm environment. Increased sweating of the feet creates all the conditions for the infection to "occur" in the skin.
Visiting public places such as swimming pools, saunas, gyms, locker rooms and shared showers is a major way of contracting mycosis. At the same time, direct contact with a person or other people's belongings is not even necessary: slow-moving fungi are volatile and present in the air. Also, fungi are caused by a lack of proper personal care and personal hygiene.
Poor quality footwear that does not allow the skin of the feet to breathe can also be one of the factors in the development of the disease. The disease can also develop in people whose work activity is associated with constant contact with the yeast fungus (confectioner, cook, winemaker). The fungus can also appear on the background of weakened immunity, due to chronic diseases (diabetes mellitus, varicose veins, thrombophlebitis).
The fungus starts on the skin of the feet between the toes. Symptoms such as itching, redness of the skin, peeling appear. Then cracks appear, the skin thickens, scales appear. There may also be liquid blisters on the skin that burst and heal poorly. If left untreated, the infection multiplies rapidly and can spread to nails and hands. The skin of the hands affected by the fungus becomes very dry and covered with scales.
The skin between the fingers can change color, crack and peel. In general, the symptoms of fungus on the hands and feet are the same. Symptoms suggestive of nail fungus: The infection begins to affect the nail from the edge and then reaches the base. The nail plate becomes blurred, thickened, the nail changes its shape, deforms. There are also symptoms such as the appearance of streaks on the nail and a change in its color: from white, yellow to brown or even black.
Fungi are a problem that the body begins to fight. Therefore, allergy symptoms in the form of blisters and erosions on the skin are possible.
Causes of fungi in children
Fungus on the feet and hands is a fairly common problem in children. First of all, this is due to the fact that the immune system of children is not yet sufficiently developed and therefore can be subjected to various influences, including fungal infection. In addition, the susceptibility of children to various fungal diseases is determined by the characteristics of their skin: low bactericidal activity of sweat and sebaceous glands, increased ability to absorb water.
In the process of getting to know the world, the child is in close contact with the environment, in which the causes of fungal diseases are widespread (for example, the disease can manifest itself after contact with a sick animal or soil). In addition, in kindergarten or school, the child comes into contact with a large number of other children who may also be carriers of skin disease.
Infection in children can also occur through direct contact and after using household items that contain fungal spores: toys, towels, other people's shoes. It is enough to run barefoot or try someone else's thing - and the disease can already manifest itself. The symptoms of the disease do not differ from those in adults.
Factors that cause the appearance of fungal diseases in children are beriberi, poor ecology, lack of culture of personal hygiene. Parents should listen to the child's complaints, check the skin regularly. It is necessary to treat the fungus, because this disease can cause allergies and weaken the immune system in children.
Prevention and preventive measures will prevent your child from getting sick. Therefore, it is necessary to consult a dermatologist as soon as possible. The doctor will be able to diagnose and prescribe the correct treatment.
If you notice any signs or symptoms of fungus on your feet or hands in yourself or your children, you should contact a specialist immediately. Only a doctor will be able to make a correct diagnosis and determine methods of removing fungus on the feet and hands. Proper diagnosis is necessary because the external symptoms of the infection may overlap with those of other diseases (such as psoriasis).
Depending on the cause of the disease, neglect of the disease and the health condition of the patient, the doctor prescribes local, systemic (taking tablets) or mixed treatment. Topical application involves the use of a special ointment, varnish or spray. If the patient has no contraindications, then the doctor prescribes a course of antifungal tablets that will help destroy the fungus "from within". Of course, it is best to use combination therapy when the treatment of the problem is carried out in all directions.
In some cases of fungal infection, your doctor may recommend nail removal. But simply removing the nail will not solve the problem, because the fungus will still be present in the body and manifest over time. This procedure makes treatment more effective because antifungal drugs can penetrate the lesion more easily. Today, this procedure is painless and does not require surgery.
There are special products that stick to the nail and "dissolve" it within 3-4 days. Treating fungus on the feet and hands is quite difficult. The treatment itself can last up to 1 year. In addition to the therapy prescribed by a doctor, the treatment of fungus at home must be carried out according to some recommendations.
- Complete disinfection of living space. Do a general cleaning of the space in which you live. Pay special attention to the bathroom. Wash the bathtub, as well as the floor and walls, with a cleaning agent. Rinse the dishes with warm water after each wash. The carpet on the bathroom floor should be rubber so that fungi do not settle in it.
- Feet should be washed with household soap or tar soap. These types of soaps have antifungal and disinfectant properties. In addition, it will help to dry out the ulcers that may appear due to the fungus.
- After water treatments, dry your feet with a hair dryer or dry them well with a paper towel, because the fungus can remain normal.
- Do not walk barefoot around the house and do not sit with your feet on upholstered furniture.
- Throw away your old slippers. Walk around the house either in socks made of natural materials, or in rubber open slippers.
- Treat the rest of the shoes with apple cider vinegar or formalin.
- Items from the manicure set must be individual and not used by any family member. Wipe the scissors and nail files with alcohol after each use.
- Sleep in cotton socks, which need to be changed daily.
- Bed linen should be changed at least once a week.
- Socks, stockings or tights - change daily. They should be washed in warm water. You can iron the socks well after washing.
Of course, it is better to prevent the disease than to treat it later. Therefore, prevention is necessary in order to better protect yourself from diseases. When visiting swimming pools, saunas and other public places, use only your personal belongings (towel, cloth). Never go barefoot. Even if you are taking a shower in a public place, do not take off your slippers. They should be made of rubber, not sponge materials.
After visiting the pool, it is necessary to wash the slippers well at home with laundry soap and dry them. For everyday wear, choose quality shoes made of natural and breathable materials. Wearing shoes that do not breathe will lead to sweating of your feet, which creates a favorable environment for the development of fungal diseases.
Prevention of fungal infections includes careful self-care, regular water procedures, timely change of underwear and bedding.
Get rid of fungus at home
Among other things, you can use traditional medicine at home. Combined with the treatment prescribed by your doctor, this will help to remove the fungus quickly.
- Apple cider vinegar is a medicine that has disinfectant and antifungal properties. Apply vinegar on a cotton swab and apply to the affected areas. If there are open wounds and sores on the skin, then you should not make such lotions. In that case, make a foot bath with a weak solution of apple cider vinegar.
- Foot baths can also be done with sea salt. You need 3 tablespoons for this. l. salt per liter of warm water. It is better to use salt, which does not contain colors and flavors. Soak your feet in this solution for 10-15 minutes. It can be applied to the affected areas as a compress.
- Traditional healers know how to remove fungus on the feet and hands at home with the help of ordinary onions. Grate the onion and squeeze the juice from it. Moisten a cotton ball with juice and apply to the affected areas. Do not rinse, but leave until the juice dries. The procedure must be done daily.
- Clay is another way to fight fungus. Take apothecary clay (sold in powder) and dilute it with cold water to the consistency of thick sour cream. Apply the product to the affected areas until it is completely dry. Then rinse with water.
- Celandine juice is a universal remedy for treating many skin diseases at home. If you break a branch of celandine, orange juice will start to appear from it. It is necessary to lubricate the places affected by the fungus with this juice. The procedure must be done twice a day.
- Another effective medicine is sold in the pharmacy - birch tar. After showering, apply it to sore spots and leave clean socks. The procedure is best done at night.
- You can also get rid of fungus with the help of ordinary soda. Take a small amount of soda, dilute it with water to a state of porridge. It is necessary to apply this paste daily, keep it for 15 minutes.
- Among the recommendations on how to cure foot fungus at home, there are tips for using ammonia. 1 st. l. dilute ammonia in one glass of water. Moisten a tissue with the solution and wrap it around the affected limb. Place the bag on top and secure with a sock. The procedure is best done at night.
Prevention can protect you from fungal infections. But if you still find alarming symptoms in yourself or your children, see your doctor right away. Only a doctor knows how to get rid of the fungus in the shortest possible time and without harm to the body, will be able to make the correct diagnosis.
Do not self-medicate. Self-medication at home can not only harm, but also worsen the problem. Traditional medicine can be effective, but only if treatment with alternative methods is allowed and approved by a doctor.